SafetY TraiN

VULNERABLE RESIDENT DRANK TOILET CLEANER

 

(Archive Story: February 2011)

 

A Healthcare company has been fined £15,000 plus £14,472 costs having breached S.3(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974 in connection with the death of an 80-year old resident at a Sheffield Care Home, who inadvertently drank from a bottle of toilet cleaner left in his room.

 

The deceased was frail, registered blind and had symptoms of dementia, the company had failed to adequately manage the use of cleaning fluids.

 

RETURN TO IN THE NEWS...

Disclaimer - Every effort is made to ensure that the information provided on this site is accurate, but no legal responsibility is accepted for any errors, omissions or misleading statements. The content of the site should not be taken as advice to act in any particular way, it is the legal responsibility of individuals, companies or other organisations to obtain competent advice on health and safety.

Real Time Web Analytics